Friday, May 9, 2008

Yankees Sneak in Afternoon Game and Win

I missed yesterday's game because I didn't realize it was an early start. The Yankees won 6-3 with the help of 4 home runs during the game and a solid outing by Mike Mussina. Moose pitched 5 innings but started to crack at the end. Ross Ohlendorf gave up 1 hit and 0 runs in 2 innings, Joba Chamberlain retired the side in the eighth and Mariano Rivera gave up 1 hit and 0 runs in the ninth.

I'm starting to feel a little better about Mussina. He's settled down in his last few games and pitches decently. If he can get run support, he can get a few wins. He's still going to carry that 4.0-4.5 ERA and give up runs, but hopefully the offense will help him out.

I don't know what to make of Ohlendorf. I think he's got good stuff and have thinking that he would eventually be a setup man or closer. He had some troubles earlier in the season with long relief appearances, but yesterday he managed 2 innings just fine. He'll probably be fine with 2 innings of work but I think 3 might be pushing it, getting him a little outside is effective zone.

Joba created a stir once again with an animated fist pump that was all over the television media. I'm tired of this non-story.

Hideki Matsui remains the teams best hitter. If I ever mentioned a trade involving Matsui before, I retract it. We need his bat right now. Wilson Betemit hit a home run and may actually seeing the ball a little better. Struggling Robbie Cano went 2 for 3.

Team LOB: 1 - that's the kind of number I like.

Coming Up:

Kei Igawa vs. Kenny Rogers. The Yanks have been hitting Rogers hard and Igawa might actually stand a chance. I don't like to be pessimistic, but I doubt Igawa will get out of the fourth inning and won't be back in New York for a long time.

David Wells was mentioned in the Post as wanting to come back and play for the Yankees, who have rotation issues. I think that is pretty unlikely at this point. Expect Ian Kennedy to be back soon and Darrel Rasner to continue filling in for the injured Phil Hughes.

No comments: