Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cashman Coming Back

Brian Cashman agreed to a three year contract to remain the general manager of the Yankees today. Personally, I'm not all that thrilled but it has its good and bad sides. The down side for me is that I've never been particularly impressed with Cashman's philosophies, judge of talent, and the outcomes he's produced. This year certainly turned out to be a disaster and a portion of the blame can be squarely lain on Brian's shoulder.

There is an upside to the return of Cashman, however. When it comes to assembling a team and a farm system, consistency at the top is a good thing. Oftentimes a GM is fired before the fruits of his labor are fully realized. I think Brian has been around long enough that we see what he's all about and what he can do, but I think we're just starting to see his influences on the farm system start to pan out (for better or worse). Over the next year or two we'll really see some of his labors start to bear fruit. This offseason should be a great opportunity to once and for all see what Cash can do. He's got two new bosses to deal with, a big list of needs and a boatload of money to spend.

The last point is that I'm not sure who else is available that could fill in as GM of the Yankees other than Cashman. While I've not been his biggest fan, I honestly don't know if there is someone out there who is available that would be any better.

Now that the GM position is locked up, we should start seeing some action regarding the re-signing of current players.

No comments: